Recipe by Chris from Kansas
This is more a technique than a recipe. I made this design for my daughter's birthday cake and I thought it looked really cute. You could use seasonal colors for Halloween, Christmas, etc. too.
Top Review by skraanycook
this is such a cute idea.. i used a flower shaped pan for a 70's groovy party theme.. though i think that a egg shaped pan for easter would be cute too... a tip for getting the frosting super smooth on top for writing.. plastic wrap and smooth with hands (or icing spreader) then pipe a border as usual.. (i used white. I tinted the icing with cool aid packets (and a few drops of water) it was like sweet tart icing.. the kids loved it! thanks Chris!
- 1 (16 ounce) can vanilla frosting
- food coloring
- candy sprinkles
Directions See How It's Made
- Divide frosting into four separate bowls.
- Tint one bowl pink using several drops of red food coloring.
- Repeat with green, blue and yellow food coloring and remaining frosting bowls.
- Drop spoonfuls of frosting randomly over top of cake.
- Starting at edges, carefully spread frosting to cover cake, being careful not to overlap colors or smear too much.
- Cover with sprinkles.