Recipe by Sackville
This makes mulled wine so easy and it's a great gift to put under the Christmas tree!
- 250 g golden caster sugar
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 12 juniper berries
- 6 -9 whole cloves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
Directions See How It's Made
- Put all the ingredients into a large pan with 900ml or 1 1/2 pints of water.
- Heat the mixture very gently to dissolve the sugar slowly, then boil for five minutes.
- Leave to cool in the pan.
- Sterilise a funnel by pouring boiling water over it, then use to divide the mulling syrup among three sterilised bottles (300ml or 10 fl oz each).
- Divide the cinnamon sticks and juniper berries among the bottles.
- Seal and store for up to two months.
- When ready to serve, pour the syrup into a pan, add three slices each of orange and lemon, plus a bottle of medium red wine.
- Warm through.