Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Direct from the most famous soup vender in New York City USA. Every once in a while one should devote themselves to making something spectacular. For me it's this soup recipe. The recipe's long and a bit time consuming but I guarantee you the taste is so good, it'll make your knees buckle.
- 4 liters water
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks celery & tops
- 2 cups eggplants
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2⁄3 cup roasted red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup pistachios
- 1⁄2 cup roasted cashews
- 1⁄2 cup Italian parsley
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 dash oregano
- 1 dash fresh nutmeg
- In a very large soup pot combine water and chicken stock.
- Peel and slice potatoes and carrots.
- Peel and dice eggplant, and onion into 1/4 inch cubes.
- Finely chop roasted pepper and parsley.
- Add prepared vegetables and all remaining ingredients to pot.
- Stir to combine and bring to a boil over med/high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and slow simmer uncovered for 4-5 hours, or until soup has reduce in volume by half. (It should be thick and brownish in colour and the consistancy of chili).
- Stir often as soup starts to become thicker.
- When nuts have softened, soup is ready.