Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep3 hrs 30 mins
Mulligatawny - which means pepper water - is the name given to the classic East Indian soup that is a meal in intself. Although it starts with a basic chicken soup, its unique flavor comes from a mix of pungent spices. The traditional accompaniment is a bowl of rice pilaf. Most of the preparation is done the day before serving, with the finishing touches done on the day of serving. However, I did not calculate the overnight refrigeration in the time estimates.
- 1 roasting chicken, cut up (4- to 5-lb.)
- 1⁄3 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
- 2 medium onions, peeled
- 4 carrots (3/4 lb.)
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 tart apples
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons curry powder
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 dash cayenne
- 3⁄4 cup grated fesh coconut
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1⁄2 cup seedless raisin
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash mace
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- Wash chicken; dry with paper towels. On waxed paper, roll in flour; coat completely. Reserve remaining flour.
- Chop onions to make 1-1/2 cups. Pare carrots; slice diagonally about 1/2-inch thick. Slice celery 1/4-inch thick. Pare, core apples; c ut into 1-inch cubes.
- In hot butter in large heavy 8-quart kettle, saute chicken, several pieces at a time, turning with tongs until browned on all sides. As chicken browns, remove to shallow pan to catch juices. Continue browning the rest of the chicken - 20 minutes in all.
- To fat in kettle, add onion, carrot, celery, apple, remaining flour, curry, salt, mace, chili, cayenne, coconut and bay leaf; cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Add broth and 3 cups water. Return chicken. Bring to boil; reduce heat; simmer, covered, 2 hours.
- Stir occasionally. Remove from heat; cool completely. Refrigerate chicken and broth, covered, overnight.
- Next day: Skim fat from surface of soup. Remove skin and bone from chicken. Cut chicken meat into large pieces. Return chicken to the kettle.
- Add apple juice and cream. Reheat, stirring.
- Meanwhile, make pilaf: Cook rice, raisins, almonds, cinnamon and mace; toss to mix.
- to serve: Spoon pilaf into warm bowls. Add soup and parsley.