Recipe by Marty S.
An Indian dish adopted by the Brits during their occupation. I love this combination of tart and spicy. Try basmati or jasmine rice for a nice change.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled, cored, & diced
- 1 leek, washed and diced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon ground almonds (optional)
- 1 tablespoon ground pecans (optional)
- 6 cups warm chicken stock or 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream or 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 cup cooked rice
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion, carrot, celery, leek, in butter until soft.
- Add apple, curry, cayenne and ground nuts and cook several minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook several more minutes.
- Gradually add warm stock and cream, simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Add chicken and rice and simmer 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish with sliced scallions.