Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe I tried some time ago. A friend gave it to me after I insisted on having the recipe after she served me this soup. Not sure where she got it from but it is one that I have and plan to use frequently!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless chicken thighs, diced, skinless
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups onions, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, finely grated
- 2 cups granny smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 cup yukon gold potato, peeled and diced
- 1 cup sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 3⁄4 cup squash, diced
- 6 cups chicken or 6 cups vegetable stock
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 3⁄4 cup zucchini, diced
- 1 cup Baby Spinach, tightly packed
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups basmati rice, cooked
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- In a 5-quart saucepan over medium heat and add the butter and oil.
- Meanwhile, season the diced chicken with the garam masala and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook, stirring often, until golden brown.
- Set chicken aside in a plate and allow to cool. Meanwhile, add the onions, carrots and celery to the hot pan and saute for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger and apples to the pan and saute until the apples are caramelized, about 7 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, sweet potatoes, and squash to the pan, along with 4 cups of the chicken stock . Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 8 - 10 minutes.
- Add the reserved chicken, the pepper, remaining 2 cups of chicken stock, spinach, zucchini, coconut milk, and tomatoes. Continue to cook the soup at a simmer until the chicken is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cider vinegar.
- Adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve the soup, on 1/4 cup of the rice in a warmed bowl, garnish with cilantro.