Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
From Life's Ambrosia.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped peeled Granny Smith apple
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Madras curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked basmati rice or 1⁄2 cup other white rice
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat. Once butter has melted stir in onion, celery, carrots and apples. Cook until softened slightly, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in flour, curry, garam masala and turmeric and cook one minute. Slowly stir in chicken stock. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and use an immersion blender, to puree the soup until smooth (there may still be a few veggie pieces and that is OK). Note: If you don’t have an immersion blender, allow soup to cool and blend in batches in a blender or food processor.
- Return soup to burner and heat over medium heat. Stir in rice and cooked chicken. Cook 20 – 25 minutes or until rice is cooked. Stir in 1/4 cup coconut milk. Season to taste with salt and pepper and add remaining coconut milk if desired.
- Ladle into warm soup bowls and serve.