Recipe by spicyperspective
The spices, coconut milk, green apples, and fresh ginger created a wealth of flavor usually only found in a curry that has cooked down all day. Mulligatawny Soup makes a wonderfully quick mid-week dinner and tastes just as good, if not better, on day two and three!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons Madras curry powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup basmati rice
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup lite coconut milk
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, carrots, apples and ginger. Sauté for 5 minutes—stirring occasionally.
- Mix in the flour, curry powder and cayenne pepper. Stir another 3-5 minutes, then add the chicken stock, rice chopped chicken and 1 teaspoons salt.
- Bring to a boil and lower the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes—or until the rice is tender and the chicken has cooked through.
- Add the coconut milk and salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with toasted almonds or cilantro!