1/5 Photos of Mulligatawny Soup
1 hr 20 mins
Mulligatawny is a more recent addition to my soup collection, have yet to find a Mulligatawny Soup I didn't love! This recipe passed to me by a family member has become our favourite version of this old classic. So much so that this year it was added to our Christmas menu - along with the promise that I continue to make it year around.We have no idea as to the origins of this particular recipe or what if any changes have been made over the years. Although we know not the who or where of the recipe - am happy it found it's way to our kitchen!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 3/4 cups onions (chopped)
- 1 medium apple (peeled and diced)
- 2 tablespoons curry powder (or to taste, I use the full amount)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (I use more)
- 2 cups cooked chicken (cubed)
- 2 medium carrots (diced)
- 1 large stalk celery (diced)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (I use coconut milk and am genereous in the adding) or 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1In large soup pot over medium heat, melt butter. Sauté onions, celery, apple and curry powder until onions are soft.
- 2Mix in flour, salt and pepper.
- 3Add chicken stock,stir until it thickens.
- 4Add cubed chicken and carrots, simmer covered until the vegetables are tender.
- 5Whisk in the coconut milk, simmer until heated through.
- 6Servings depend on the size of your bowl.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mulligatawny Soup
Serving Size: 1 (432 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 390.7
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 62.5 mg
- Sodium 1255.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 22.8 g
- Protein 19.7 g