Recipe by Wild Thyme Flour
Meatless version and truly delicious. From the cookbook Hot & Spicy
Top Review by threeovens
I liked this a lot. The spice was just right and you could taste the lentils and potato. I did leave out the apple since I don't usually have them on hand. The lemon juice is essential, and the cilantro is very nice.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 fresh small red chilies, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 cup red lentil
- 7 cups chicken stock or 7 cups vegetable stock
- 1 large potato, peeled chopped
- 1 large apple, peeled cored and chopped
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large pan add onion, garlic, ginger, chillies and ground spices . cook stirring for about 5 minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Add lentils, stock, potato and apple, simmer covered about 20 minutes or until the potato is tender and the lentils are cooked.
- Process until smooth, return to pan. Add coconut milk, juice and coriander leaves. Serve.
- Can be made a day ahead.