Recipe by mersaydees
A great recipe based on one from Michael Roberts book, What's For Dinner? Per the intro, "Mulligatawny, the soup of chicken, apples, and lentils, was almost a cliche in Continental restaurants a few years ago. Here chicken thighs cooked in the soup rather than the usual little bits of chicken added as garnish turn it into dinner. Serve hot bastmati or Texmati rice to spoon into the soup to give it even more texture and substance. A plate of sliced papaya and avocado with some lemon juice and walnut oil spooned over will complement the mulligatawny perfectly."
Top Review by tsjensenmd
This is a great recipe and rivals anything I have eaten at Indian restaraunts. As curry powders are quite variable in their degree of spice, I suggest adding just 1/2 of the curry powder and no cayenne pepper while braising the chicken. Then about 10 minutes into boiling the stock, taste and add curry powder until you have the flavor you like. Then add cayenne to adjust the heat if needed. Also, I used apple juice and salted butter as I did not have cider or unsalted butter.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 chicken thighs or 8 about 2 1/2 pounds chicken pieces
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 2 celery ribs, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups canned low sodium chicken broth or 3 cups water
- 2 cups unfiltered apple cider
- cayenne pepper, to tatste
- 1⁄3 cup dried lentils
- 3⁄4 lb potato, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 cup apple, peeled and chopped (about 2 small apples)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 12 sprigs cilantro (fresh coriander)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large soup pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add the chicken, onions, celery, and carrot, sprinkle with curry powder, and mix well.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Add the stock, cider, salt, cayenne pepper, and lentils.
- Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add potatoes and dill and cook 20 minutes longer.
- (The soup can be prepared in advance to this point, cooled, and refrigerated.).
- Just before serving, reheat soup if necessary.
- Add the apples, then remove from the heat and whisk in the yogurt.
- Pour the soup into a tureen, garnish with cilantro, and serve immediately.