1 hr 20 mins
A great recipe based on one from Michael Roberts book, What's For Dinner? Per the intro, "Mulligatawny, the soup of chicken, apples, and lentils, was almost a cliche in Continental restaurants a few years ago. Here chicken thighs cooked in the soup rather than the usual little bits of chicken added as garnish turn it into dinner. Serve hot bastmati or Texmati rice to spoon into the soup to give it even more texture and substance. A plate of sliced papaya and avocado with some lemon juice and walnut oil spooned over will complement the mulligatawny perfectly."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 chicken thighs or 8 about 2 1/2 pounds chicken pieces
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 2 celery ribs, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups canned low sodium chicken broth or 3 cups water
- 2 cups unfiltered apple cider
- cayenne pepper, to tatste
- 1/3 cup dried lentils
- 3/4 lb potato, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 cup apple, peeled and chopped (about 2 small apples)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 12 sprigs cilantro (fresh coriander)
- 1In large soup pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add the chicken, onions, celery, and carrot, sprinkle with curry powder, and mix well.
- 2Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- 3Add the stock, cider, salt, cayenne pepper, and lentils.
- 4Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 20 minutes.
- 5Add potatoes and dill and cook 20 minutes longer.
- 6(The soup can be prepared in advance to this point, cooled, and refrigerated.).
- 7Just before serving, reheat soup if necessary.
- 8Add the apples, then remove from the heat and whisk in the yogurt.
- 9Pour the soup into a tureen, garnish with cilantro, and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mulligatawny Soup
Serving Size: 1 (789 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 732.5
- Calories from Fat 355
- Total Fat 39.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.9 g
- Cholesterol 186.5 mg
- Sodium 469.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 46.4 g