1 hr 53 mins
1 hr 30 mins
My favorite version of the famous Indian soup originally developed by cooks who served in English homes during the colonization of India.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 tablespoon butter or 1/2 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled turnip
- 1 granny smith apple, unpeeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- shredded coconut, for topping
- 1In a big soup pot over medium heat, heat the oil and butter.
- 2Add in chopped carrots, stir/saute for 2 minutes.
- 3Add remaining vegetables and apple; stir/saute for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- 4Add curry powder, coriander, cloves, ginger, salt, and pepper; stir for 1 minute.
- 5Add in stock; bring to a boil.
- 6In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and water; add to soup mixture and stir for about 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 7Add chicken; stir to combine.
- 8Puree beans with 1 cup of stock from soup in a food processor.
- 9Add puree to soup and mix well.
- 10Lower heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes or until flavors are blended.
- 11Ladle into individual soup bowls; sprinkle with coconut and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mulligatawny Soup
Serving Size: 1 (490 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 324.9
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 44.7 mg
- Sodium 1020.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 22.1 g