1 hr 8 mins
Build a Better Burger Contest, Grand Prize, 1996. Lori Welander, Shelburne, VT
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Curried Apple Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons peeled finely chopped tart apples
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1/2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions
- 1/2 cup peeled finely chopped tart apple
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup fine fresh breadcrumb
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 6 sourdough rolls, split
- young tender spinach leaves
- 1Make mayonnaise: combine all mayonnaise ingredients in a small bowl; stir well to blend; cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 2Prepare a med-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover; or preheat a gas grill to med-high.
- 3Make the patties: place the almonds in a small fire-proof skillet on the grill; stir frequently until lightly golden brown, 5-10 minutes; set aside to cool.
- 4In a bowl, combine the chicken, egg whites, green onion, and apple; season with salt and pepper; mix well.
- 5Divide mixture into 6 equal portions; shape each portion into patties to fit the rolls.
- 6Finely chop the toasted almonds and combine with the bread crumbs and curry powder in a shallow bowl/pie plate, stirring well.
- 7Coat both sides of the patties with the almond mixture, pressing gently to adhere.
- 8Brush the grill rack with vegetable oil; place the patties on the grill rack, cover, and cook, turning once, just until the juices run clear when the patties are pierced in the center (about 4 minutes on each side).
- 9During the last few minutes of cooking, place the rolls, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.
- 10Assemble burgers: decoratively fan several spinach leaves on the bottom roll; top each with a patty and a generous dollop of the mayonnaise; add the roll tops and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mulligatawny Ground Chicken Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 292.5
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 84.5 mg
- Sodium 289.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 27.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: