Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
One of the things I love about the holidays is mulled wine. :) Here's a nice version featuring roasted oranges, which gives the punch a really nice flavor.
- 2 small oranges or 2 small tangerines or 2 small satsuma oranges, scrubbed well (divided)
- 12 whole cloves
- 1 (750 ml) bottle zinfandel or 1 (750 ml) bottleother favorite full bodied red wine
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup honey, to taste
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 10 cinnamon sticks, divided (3-inch long)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 whole allspice
- 1 ounce brandy or 1 ounce cognac, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Push the whole cloves into one of the small oranges until it's completely"studded," then place the orange in a baking dish and roast it in the oven until it's soft, which will take between 35 to 40 minutes.
- In a non-reactive saucepan over medium heat, combine the roasted orange, zinfandel, orange juice, honey, brown sugar, 4 of the cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, allspice, and the brandy or Cognac.
- Raise the heat to medium-high, stirring constantly until the honey is melted and the sugar is dissolved, which will take about 4 minutes, but DO NOT LET BOIL (the flavor of the wine and spices combination will deteriorate if the mixture reaches the boiling point).
- Strain the mulled wine and pour into six coffee glasses or cups, slice the remaining small orange into 6 slices, and garnish each cup with a cinnamon stick and orange slice.