Recipe by Lalaloula
This is a very wintery, spicy muffin recipe that is perfect for entertaining during the holiday season. It has a fruity orange aroma with hints of cloves and cinnamon, which pairs really well with the added chocolate chunks and cookie crumbs. If you cant find spekulatius cookies where you live, substitute any crunchy spicy (e.g. gingersnaps) cookie or make your own. If you use a different cookie, you might want to up the spices and/or add additional ginger and nutmeg.
For the mulled wine
- 1 orange, zest of (please make sure to use an organic orange for this)
- 150 ml red wine (can use dark grape juice instead of the wine)
- 150 g sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 whole cloves
- 4 tablespoons port wine
For the muffins
- 100 g spekulatius cookie crumbs (or other hard cookie crumbs)
- 250 g flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- additional spices (if using)
- 100 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 150 g plain yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan combine orange zest, cloves, cinnamon, sugar and red wine. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly (2 min.) and then add the 4 tbs of port wine. Remove the cinnamon stick and the cloves using a slotted spoon.
- In a big bowl combine flour, baking powder, cookie crumbs, salt, additional spices (if using) and chopped chocolate.
- In a second bowl combine cooled mulled wine, eggs, oil and yogurt. Add this to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pour into prepared muffin tins and bake in the preheated oven at 180°C/350°F for 20-25 minutes.