Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
These jars of spicy, sweet apples crusted in a (butter free) brown sugar oat topping are proof that a good wine can make anything better!
- 4 large apples, peeled and chopped (I used a mix of Granny Smith and Golden Delicious)
- 2 large chayotes, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice (I used blood orange juice)
- 1 (2 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup toasted soy flour (kinako)
- 1⁄2 cup instant oatmeal (pulse rolled oats in a food processor until mealy)
- 1⁄2 cup large flake rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons Truvia, brown sugar blend
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease 6 (1 cup) jars.
- Place apples, chayotes, sugar, agave, wine, juice, cinnamon stick and cloves in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until apples and squash are tender.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer apple and squash mixture to prepared jars.
- Bring wine mixture to the boil over medium-high heat and cook, uncovered, until reduced by half.
- Stir in vanilla, then strain over apple mixture in each jar.
- Whisk together the kinako, oatmeal, Truvia, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg into a bowl. Drizzle in the oil and toss to combine.
- Spoon crumble mixture over apple mixture in the jars, packing lightly.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until crumble is golden brown.