Recipe by Sue Lau
Great recipe for the holidays. Nice for parties or elegant dinners. Recipe easily doubles and keeps warm in your crockpot.
Top Review by Evie*
Followed the redipe to a T and enjoyed this mulled wine recipe, maybe just a little to 'lemony' for me but will make it again and cut back a little on the lemon juice. Lovely smell!
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 nutmeg, cracked into pieces with a hammer
- 1 (750 ml) bottle dry red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon is a good choice)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 orange, zest of
- 3 ounces fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
Directions See How It's Made
- Wrap cloves and nutmeg in muslin or cheesecloth and tie off with kitchen twine.
- Or place them in a large tea ball, if you have one that fits.
- Combine wine and sugar into small crockpot, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Add orange and lemon zests, wrapped spices, orange and lemon juices, and stir.
- Keep mixture on the low setting until it becomes hot, then place on warm setting, if able.
- Do not allow to boil.
- Serve warm, ladled into heatproof mugs or glasses.