Recipe by subaruthie
This is an easy way to turn a cheap bottle of wine into something your guests will rave about. I've included directions for alternate preparation and options for straining.
- 1 (750 ml) bottle red wine (a cheap cabernet sauvignon)
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons mulling spices
- 2 oranges
- 1⁄4 cup apricot brandy
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and slice oranges thinly.
- Combine water, sugar, spices, and oranges in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer 20-30 minutes.
- Reduce heat, add wine, and reheat. Do not boil.
- Strain oranges and spices.
- Add brandy just before serving.
- Serve warm with cinnamon sticks.
- Make ahead directions: Combine water, sugar, spices, oranges, and wine in a large saucepan. Stir well and refrigerate several hours. Use low heat to warm. Strain and add brandy before serving.
- Alternatives to straining: Use a strainer insert for your saucepan to hold and lift out spices and oranges, or use cheesecloth to hold oranges and spices during mulling.