Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Lentils cooked in red wine with spices and bitter orange, would be marvellous with hot baked ham or Turkey. Can't remember where I got the recipe.
- 4 ounces lentils, soaked for 4 hours
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 small onion, fine chopped
- 2 whole star anise
- 1⁄2 seville oranges, peeled and peel cut into segments
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon red wine
- Soften the onion in 1 tbsp butter.
- add rest of ingredients except the other 1 tbsp butter and bring to boil.
- Cover and cook for 15 - 20 mins until soft.
- season with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- add 1 tbsp red wine and the rest of the butter and serve.(removing the orange peel).