Recipe by greysangel
Original recipe from 1999 Bon Appetit..this is a break away from the stuff in the can. I always double this so I have extra through the year. Also makes a great tart or cheesecake topping...sweet or savory. I've used it to cover goat cheese and gorgonzola tart bites.
- 1 (12 ounce) bag cranberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups fruity red wine (such as Merlot)
- 1 1⁄4 cups packed golden brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup minced crystallized ginger
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook until liquid is medium-thick syrup and sauce is reduced to 2 2/3 cups, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes.
- Transfer sauce to bowl; refrigerate until cold, about 3 hours. (Can be prepared 1 week ahead. Cover. Keep chilled.).