Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I lifted Alton Brown's recipe for microwave apple sauce and added in the ingredients I normally use to make mulled cider. I hope you enjoy the result!
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice (optional)
- 1 orange
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup cognac
- 5 large apples
- This recipe can be done in a microwave, but I don't own one; I am including stove top and microwave instructions.
- In a large saucepan, mix apple and pineapple juices, zest from orange (I use a microplane), juice from orange, juice from lemon, spices, honey, butter and cognac. Bring to a simmer over medium high heat.
- Peel, core and coarsely chop apples.
- Add apples to simmering liquid.
- Stir occasionally until apples begin to soften and break apart.
- Using an immersion blender or a potato masher, blend or smash the apples to desired consistency.
- Allow to cool, then store in the refrigerator.
- Alton says the flavors of his original applesauce recipe improve in the days to follow. Hopefully the same could be said for this!
- Microwave Instructions: In microwaveable container, heat all ingredients, except apples.
- Remove from microwave, stir in apples.
- Return to microwave 10-20 minutes (depending on wattage) stirring halfway through cooking time.