Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Perfect for those cold winter nights. If you're looking to spice things up a little bit more, adding spiced rum is fantastic. I've done it with both juice made from concentrate and fresh apple juice and both are delicious
- 2 quarts water
- 1 (12 ounce) container apple juice concentrate
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon whole cloves
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 1⁄4 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried ginger, pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cassia chips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- Mix the water and juice concentrate together and pour into a large teapot or 3 quart saucepan.
- Add all spices to juice, cover, and bring to a boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat but keep the lid on.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Strain through cheesecloth or wire mesh strainer into serving container.
- This drink keeps well in the refrigerator to be reheated by stove or microwave for single serving or later use.
Perfect for the last throes of winter here (I hope). What attracted me to this recipe is the lack of added sugar, and the use of star anise and cardamom. They made a nice change from the usual spiced cider. Very tasty! I did mine in my smaller crockpot and simmered it for about 4 hours. Made for TOP FAVORITES of 2009 COOKBOOKS TAG GAME
I loved this mulled juice so much that I have made it three times now. Each time is as good as the first. This lovely hot n spicy juice, has been the perfect antedote for all the rain we have been getting here. Thank you so much for sharing this quick and easy to make treat. Which I will be enjoying often.