Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Chili Nation—Jane and Michael Stern.
- 3 dried ancho chiles
- 2 dried pasilla peppers
- 2 dried chipotle chiles
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb beef round steak, trimmed of fat and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons prepared hot mustard
- 1 (12 ounce) can Budweiser beer (or your choice of non-yuppie brew)
- 1 tablespoon masa harina (dissolved in 1/4 cup water)
- Put the chiles in a large heatproof bowl; add boiling water to cover.
- Let stand 30 minutes, until soft; stem and seed them.
- In a food processor, puree the chiles with some of the soaking water; set aside.
- In a large pot, saute the onion and garlic in the oil until soft.
- Add in the beef; cook until browned; drain any excess fat; set aside.
- Preheat the broiler; cook the sausages under the broiler until they are cooked through and crisp skinned.
- Cut into 1 inch discs and add to the beef/onion mixture in the large pot along with the chile puree, sugar, salt, pepper, oregano, mustard, and beer.
- Stir well and bring to a boil; decrease heat and cook at a simmering boil, partially covered, for 40 minutes.
- Add in the masa harina mixture; cook for 10 more minutes.