Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
A nice old fashioned mulberry munchie.
- You can use this recipe for any low pectin fruit eg.
- Saskatoons, blueberry, elderberry, raspberry, blackberry or May-apple.
- Cook 1 1/2 cups of RIPE mulberries[unripe fruit is toxic- see about Red mulberry], mash and drain through a fine sieve or jelly bag to obtain the juice: about 2/3 cup yield.
- Mix juice with sugar and butter and cook over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- bring to a boil on medium and boil WITHOUT stirring until soft-ball candy stage- 240 Deg F.
- Remove from heat; cool until lukewarm and beat with a wooden spoon until mixture looses its gloss.
- Press into a buttered pan and cut into squares before the candy hardens.
- Keep in a tightly covered dish or freeze because this candy hardens when exposed to the air.
good stuff, mine came out more like caramel chews but very good anyway. thanks