Recipe by Athena484
This is my family's take on a wonderful comfort food.
Top Review by cellybelly
Yum! Came out great! I used a brown rice medley from Trader Joe's. I used approx. 1 tsp cayenne pepper, 2 tsp cumin and about 2 tablespoons lemon juice (give or take a half tbsp - I test tasted the broth as I went along). I did have to add another cup of water to it about 30 minutes into cooking. I also let it cook longer than stated, probably about an hour altogether to be sure all the liquid was soaked up. It was flavorful with a nice kick to it at the end of each bite!
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 cup brown rice
- 4 -5 small onions, sliced thin
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 -4 cups water or 3 -4 cups low or no sodium stock
- lemon juice
- garlic (powder or finely chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté lentils briefly.
- Cover with 3 cups water/stock.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 10-15 minutes while sautéing onions (and garlic if using cloves) till transparent or a little brown.
- Add rice to onions and sauté for a moment.
- Transfer onions and rice to lentils and add water to cover.
- Add lemon juice, spices to taste, stir.
- Bring to simmer, cover, let cook approximately 40--45 minutes (will take less time if using white rice) stirring occasionally.
- Add more lemon juice, spices if desired.