Prep 2 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my family's take on a wonderful comfort food.
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 cup brown rice
- 4 -5 small onions, sliced thin
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 -4 cups water or 3 -4 cups low or no sodium stock
- lemon juice
- garlic (powder or finely chopped)
- Sauté lentils briefly.
- Cover with 3 cups water/stock.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 10-15 minutes while sautéing onions (and garlic if using cloves) till transparent or a little brown.
- Add rice to onions and sauté for a moment.
- Transfer onions and rice to lentils and add water to cover.
- Add lemon juice, spices to taste, stir.
- Bring to simmer, cover, let cook approximately 40--45 minutes (will take less time if using white rice) stirring occasionally.
- Add more lemon juice, spices if desired.
Yum! Came out great! I used a brown rice medley from Trader Joe's. I used approx. 1 tsp cayenne pepper, 2 tsp cumin and about 2 tablespoons lemon juice (give or take a half tbsp - I test tasted the broth as I went along). I did have to add another cup of water to it about 30 minutes into cooking. I also let it cook longer than stated, probably about an hour altogether to be sure all the liquid was soaked up. It was flavorful with a nice kick to it at the end of each bite!
This recipe is delicious! My husband and I really enjoyed it. It vaguely resembles dirty rice without the meat. We added some Slap Ya Mama seasoning to it for some extra kick. We did have to add another 15 minutes or so to the cook time or the rice would have been crunchy. We will eventually try adding some figs or seafood for a new twist. Very simple, easy to follow recipe!
I enjoy this recipe , but theres a few changes I will make next time. Maybe add some garlic and cook it another 30min, Im used to it being mushy where i get it from, maybe from being on the line all day I dont know but thats how I like it, thanks for this, nice basic recipe for sure