Recipe by Sharon123
Posted for a request for more Lebanese recipes! UPDATE: Thanks to Elmotoo I have made some changes! Thank you Bethie! :)
Top Review by Elmotoo
I thought this was delicious! I did make a few changes - I used whole red lentils thinking they might hold up to the long cooking. I soaked them for less than an hour & they were already soft; I recommend skipping this step. They only cooked for about 30 minutes & they water was used up & the lentils were mushy. I used 1/2 cup rice cooked (about 2c cooked) instead of 1/2c cooked rice & the proportions were very good. The onions need a good deal of time to brown properly. Next time I will start them first. There is a LOT of flavor in the caramelized onions - they are like CANDY. And use plenty of salt & pepper! We completely enjoyed this dish! Made for Ramadan Tag.
- 2 cups whole red lentils
- 6 cups water
- 4 medium onions, sliced thin
- 1 cup olive oil or 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to boil, then add the lentils, lower heat to simmer and cook about 30-60 minutes .
- Meanwhile, saute onions in the oil to caramelize about 15-20 minutes, then add half of onions, rice and seasonings to lentils. Let the mixture boil for a few minutes.
- When it thickens, pour into a tureen, and spread the remaining onions over the top. and serve.
- Yield: 4 servings.