Prep 5 mins
Cook 55 mins
Mujadarra means spotted. This is a classic Arabic favourite. Every person has a different recipe for this one. You can keep it simple or dress it up with different spices and caramelised onions. This recipe is posted by request for Arabic recipes. I found this one in the 'Weekend', one of my favourite magazines. Hope its enjoyed by one and all.
- 1 cup brown lentils, washed and picked over
- 1 cup rice
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 cups water, to boil lentils
- 1 cup water, to cook rice and lentils
- salt and pepper
- Boil the lentils in 2 cups water for 30 minutes.
- Add rice and another cup of water and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add salt and allspice and let it simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Fry onions in oil till golden brown and serve on top or mixed in.
- Season to taste and serve.
Nice! I added 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, mixed the spices in simultaneously with the onions, and did not have to simmer for the 10 minutes listed in step 3. This went very well with hummus and falafel.
This is the classical basic mujdarra recipe. It brought back a lot of memories from my time in the middle east. Great as a side dish with almost anything that is not very starchy.
Great recipe ... since I am on low starch diet I replaced rice with Cracked Wheat and the taste was terrific. Provided me with all the fibre and iron that this is so full off. Great catch Charishma ! Mini