Recipe by raisdbywolvz
More than just lentils and rice, this dish was tossed together from the grains and beans in my pantry. I followed a Mujadarra recipe to build it. Substitute anything you've got, and remember to adjust your water to bean/grain ratios accordingly.
- 3 onions, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup hard red winter wheat berries
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1⁄4 cup green lentil
- 1⁄4 cup red lentil
- 1⁄4 cup mung beans
- 5 1⁄4 cups water, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 small cucumber, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped way into the green
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onions in olive oil until onions are golden.
- Set aside.
- Bring 1 ½ cup water to a boil.
- Add the hard red winter wheat berries, stir, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add more water if necessary.
- After 45 minutes, add wild rice, green lentils and 2 ½ cups water.
- Stir, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, add red lentils, mung beans, half the onions, all the spices, and 1 ¼ cup water.
- Stir, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Serve over a bed of onions, garnish with yogurt, cucumber, green onion and mint.
- Serve with pita bread.