Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
A lovely lentil rice dish that is easy to make and delicious
- 1 cup green lentil (or brown)
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 3 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 7 -8 tablespoons olive oil
- Fry onion med heat in 3 T oil until soft and brown.
- Add lentils, water and spices (not salt and pepper)and bring to boil and simmer covered 20 minutes or until tender.
- Add salt and pepper and rice.
- bring to boil and reduce to lowest simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Please note I use coffee mugs as my cups as I like big helpings.
- Serve with slow fried slivered onions that are caramalised and eyptian tomato sauce ( can post if anyones interested) and olive oil drizzled over (makes huge difference) and jajik yogurt and cucumber salad.
- Is really really delicious and have kids saying it is their favourite meal!
Really simple and tasty. I cut the salt down by about a third and it was just fine for my taste. I topped with a small bed of fresh baby spinach and drizzled some olive oil and fresh ground pepper on top. Thanks for sharing!
A very good vegan meal! I used green lentils (for the first time), 1/2 tsp ground cumin following the lead of Shu Shu & sea salt. I served it with your Recipe #169113 & Balkan thick yogurt caramelized onions made with a little dark brown sugar in my cast iron frying pan and extra virgin olive oil drizzled over top. I would make this again if we are craving something vegetarian. Made for PAC Spring 2010.
This is really wonderful! One of the best lentil/rice dishes we have had. Made exactly as written...with one exception. For us...1 tsp of salt was sufficient. Served it with your "recipe #169113", and carmelized onions. MMMM gooda! Thank your for sharing. Made for African Recipe Fun.