Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
A lovely lentil rice dish that is easy to make and delicious
- 1 cup green lentil (or brown)
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 3 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 7 -8 tablespoons olive oil
- Fry onion med heat in 3 T oil until soft and brown.
- Add lentils, water and spices (not salt and pepper)and bring to boil and simmer covered 20 minutes or until tender.
- Add salt and pepper and rice.
- bring to boil and reduce to lowest simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Please note I use coffee mugs as my cups as I like big helpings.
- Serve with slow fried slivered onions that are caramalised and eyptian tomato sauce ( can post if anyones interested) and olive oil drizzled over (makes huge difference) and jajik yogurt and cucumber salad.
- Is really really delicious and have kids saying it is their favourite meal!
Really simple and tasty. I cut the salt down by about a third and it was just fine for my taste. I topped with a small bed of fresh baby spinach and drizzled some olive oil and fresh ground pepper on top. Thanks for sharing!
A very good vegan meal! I used green lentils (for the first time), 1/2 tsp ground cumin following the lead of Shu Shu & sea salt. I served it with your Egyptian Tomato Sauce & Balkan thick yogurt caramelized onions made with a little dark brown sugar in my cast iron frying pan and extra virgin olive oil drizzled over top. I would make this again if we are craving something vegetarian. Made for PAC Spring 2010.
This is really wonderful! One of the best lentil/rice dishes we have had. Made exactly as written...with one exception. For us...1 tsp of salt was sufficient. Served it with your "Egyptian Tomato Sauce", and carmelized onions. MMMM gooda! Thank your for sharing. Made for African Recipe Fun.