Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I really like this better than the jarred sauces and I know exactly what's in it and don't have to read the label everytime I need enchilada sauce.
- Spray a medium saucepan with spray oil and heat over medium heat.
- Add onion, pepper and garlic and cook until tender.
- Stir in tomato sauce, oregano and cumin.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
Absolutely yummy. We use green chiles because we are all wimps when it comes to spicy! Like poster mentioned, it is nice to know exactly what is in the sauce. And it tastes better.
I needed a quick enchilada sauce for our dinner last night and found one similar to this in one of my cookbooks, the only difference is that mine uses tinned tomatoes rather than tomato sauce..makes a simple enchilada sauce with ingredients easily found in the pantry...fantastic!
This is my new house enchilada sauce. I made a chicken enchilada casserole for my husband's birthday, and poached the chicken in the sauce--this sauce--before baking. We thought the flavor was perfect, and the heat level can be easily adjusted. This is a real winner. Made for PAC Fall 09.