- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 ounces walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 ounces fresh breadcrumbs, blended with cold water to a paste
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- 1 red bell pepper, pureed in a food processor
- 1 red chili pepper
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, gently cooked in a little oil, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and gently cook the onions until soft and golden.
- Add the remaining ingredients and salt to taste.
- Continue to cook gently on a low heat for about 10-15 minutes until the ingredients are well blended and thickened.
- Remove from the heat.
- To serve: tip the muhammara in a bowl and garnish with pine nuts.
- Muhammara is eaten as a dip.