Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Looking for a change from serving hummus as your appetizer? Muhammara is traditionally a hot pepper dip, orignating in Syria. This rich and delicious milder version uses roasted red peppers and goes wonderfully with pita bread, pita chips, raw veggies or spread on crusty toasted bread. It's nice to make this a day ahead to let the flavors blend and intensify overnight. Feel free to increase the amount of crushed red pepper to kick up the heat a bit!
- 3 roasted red peppers, whole (from jar or roasted yourself)
- 2⁄3 cup breadcrumbs (homemade)
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more)
- In a blender or food processor, combine the peppers and all the remaining ingredients.
- Taste, and add more spice or salt as necessary.