Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
A Syrian roasted red-pepper and walnut spread. Great alternative to hummus. Bon appetit Nov 2008. We used regular red peppers and then added extra olive oil and garlic. We also added hot pepper paste since we felt it needed heat. We did use extra lemon juice and lots of kosher salt. I would just make this recipe to your tastes. Serve with pita chips, flat breads or pretzels.
- 1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers packed in oil, drained
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup panko breadcrumbs (japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses or 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- pita chips
- Blend all ingredients except pita chips and salt in a food processor until coarse puree forms. Season with salt, transfer to a bowl and serve with pita chips.
This dip is excellent! I've actually made muhammara several times before, but it was always a different recipe. I liked this version a lot. It was a hit with everybody who tried it. Thank you!
Can't stop eating this! Pretty good for you too. Highly recommend users additions, otherwise it is kind of plain. Stores great and is really good as a spread on sandwiches too.
Quite tasty indeed! I used pecans because I had lots on hand and sort of eyeballed quantities. I used more cumin and added some chopped garlic as the mixture was a little bland.