Recipe by DangerBun
This is one of the most delicious middle eastern dips you can make, and certainly one of the easiest! Don't be turned off by the inclusion of pomegranate molasses -- it's very easy to make and I've listed 2 simple "recipes" for it. Or you may choose to substitute the pomegranate molasses with grenadine. This dip is sure to be a hit at your next party! Adapted from Gourmet Magazine.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
Wonderfully delicious and so addictive! I have had this at a local Mediterranean restaurant here in town and this is very close to the taste. Next time, and there will be a next time, I will either use less oil or more peppers, crumbs and walnuts as I like it thicker with more texture. Still, it was sooo good!!! Will definitely keep this recipe handy. Thanks for the post.
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 2⁄3 cup fine fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts, toasted lightly and chopped fine
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced and mashed to a paste with
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses (see notes below) or 2 teaspoons grenadine
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil (2 T if you won't be chilling the dip before serving)
- toasted pita bread, triangles as an accompaniment
Directions See How It's Made
- To make Pomegranate Molasses:.
- Bring to boil 1 quart Pomegranate Juice (such as Pom Wonderful), 2/3 cup sugar, 2/3 cup lemon juice and simmer on low until reduced to 1-1/3 cups.
- Or even easier: simmer any quantity of pomegranate juice on low heat until it is reduced and thick enough to coat a spoon.
- Recipe Directions:.
- In a food processor blend together the peppers, the bread crumbs, the walnuts, the garlic, the lemon juice, the pomegranate molasses, the cumin, the red pepper flakes, and salt to taste until the mixture is smooth and with the motor running add the oil gradually.
- Transfer the muhammara to a bowl and chill in the refrigerator until it thickens.
- Serve at room temperature with the pita triangles.