Recipe by threeovens
This rice is an accompaniment to fish dishes in Bahrain. The rice is parboiled and then steamed.
- 2 cups basmati rice, washed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron
- 2 tablespoons rose water
- 3 cardamom pods, cracked
- 6 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4 cup ghee or 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- melted butter, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, combine saffron, cardamom pods, cloves, and rose water; let steep while preparing the remainder of this recipe.
- In a saucepan, bring 6 cups of water to a boil; stir in rice and parboil for 8 minutes then drain.
- Stir sugar into the drained rice.
- In a saucepan (use the same one), heat the ghee or butter, then add the sweetened rice; sprinkle the rose water mixture over the top.
- Cover the rim of the saucepan with a cloth or use paper towels to form a tight seal when the lid is placed on the pan; steam over very low heat until rice is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter and top with additional melted butter if desired.