Recipe by krolek
from washington post (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/mighty-appetite/2008/06/an_evening_with_muhammara.html)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon ground aleppo pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- wash and remove top and seeds from the bell peppers.
- cut bell peppers vertically into 4-6 strips (not rings).
- place bell peppers on baking sheet.
- roast bell peppers in 400 degree oven until blistering ~ 40 minutes.
- let bell peppers cool.
- puree all ingredients in a food processor or with immersion blender.
- aleppo pepper substitutes: 1 teaspoon smoked paprika and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne or 1 ancho pepper plus 1 teaspoon cumin.
- aleppo peppers are also known as halaby peppers or kirmizi bibers.