Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a light and sweet Mediterranean dessert.
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon orange blossom water
- 1⁄2 cup rice flour
- In a basin or a large bowl, mix rice powder into a paste with a little milk taken from the 4 cups.
- Heat remaining milk to almost boiling point and pour onto the rice paste, stirring well.
- Return the mix to the saucepan and add orange blossom flower water and bring to boil over gentle heat while ***stirring continuously***.
- Once the mixture starts bubbling, reduce the heat and continue stirring continuously for another 5-10 minutes more. The continuous stirring makes sure it doesn't lump.
- Add sugar and keep stirring until it dissolves completely.
- If the mixture becomes too thick dilute with a little milk or water.
- Pour the creamy mixture into small bowls (or a one large shallow dish approximately 1-1 and ½” deep.
- Decorate the pudding top with pistachios and almonds if desired.
- Helpful Hints.
- Add sugar after the rice powder mixture has been stirred, boiled and thickened for at least 10 minutes.
- At the end, you may wish to place the saucepan in cold water and beat the mixture for a few minutes before pouring into small dishes.
Wonderful recipe! Will be making this one again. I used 2/3 of a cup of brown sugar. Tasted delicious. Also subbed rose water in place of the orange blossom water.
This is the best rice flour pudding I have found on Zaar so far. DD (toddler) agrees by eating a lot. I loved the consistency. I made this dairy free by using rice milk in replacement of the regular milk. I used white sugar for the sugar and would just reduce it a very slight bit next time. I used almost 2 tbs of orange blossom water but I will try a little less next time. I used white rice flour from my local health food store. I made this for a Ramadan breakfast. I preferred this served warm. I will definitely make this again.
Very nice and light flavor. You really do need too constantly stir or it can get to thick, but once I tried it a second time. It came out perfect. Thanks for something different.