bluemoon downunder's Note:
A classic Middle Eastern dessert, which I have often eaten in Middle Eastern restaurants, so I was pleased to find it in Christine Osborne's 'Middle Eastern Food and Drink'. I have not yet tried this recipe. I am posting it for the 2005 Zaar World Tour. When I've eaten this dish, it has been garnished with chopped pistachio nuts. This recipe offers chopped almonds as an alternative. This is a make-ahead recipe: the estimated preparation and cooking times do not include the time needed for chilling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Using a little of the milk, mix the ground rice and cornflour to a smooth paste.
- 2Over a medium-low heat, slowly heat the sugar in the rest of the milk.
- 3Stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, and being careful not to burn the bottom of the pan, add the paste to the milk, and simmer the mixture until it is just off boiling. Keep stirring until the mixture thickens (which it should do in 10-15 minutes).
- 4Add the rose-water and ground almonds and continue to stir over a low heat; simmer for about 5 minutes, then remove the pan from the stove and allow the mixture to cool slightly before pouring it into a glass bowl or individual glass dishes.
- 5Garnish with the nuts ( almonds or pistachios) and nutmeg, then chill for 3-4 hours before serving.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Muhallabia (Ground Rice Pudding)
Serving Size: 1 (205 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 246.2
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 24.1 mg
- Sodium 129.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 11.1 g
- Protein 8.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: