Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A classic Middle Eastern dessert, which I have often eaten in Middle Eastern restaurants, so I was pleased to find it in Christine Osborne's 'Middle Eastern Food and Drink'. I have not yet tried this recipe. I am posting it for the 2005 Zaar World Tour. When I've eaten this dish, it has been garnished with chopped pistachio nuts. This recipe offers chopped almonds as an alternative. This is a make-ahead recipe: the estimated preparation and cooking times do not include the time needed for chilling.
- Using a little of the milk, mix the ground rice and cornflour to a smooth paste.
- Over a medium-low heat, slowly heat the sugar in the rest of the milk.
- Stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, and being careful not to burn the bottom of the pan, add the paste to the milk, and simmer the mixture until it is just off boiling. Keep stirring until the mixture thickens (which it should do in 10-15 minutes).
- Add the rose-water and ground almonds and continue to stir over a low heat; simmer for about 5 minutes, then remove the pan from the stove and allow the mixture to cool slightly before pouring it into a glass bowl or individual glass dishes.
- Garnish with the nuts ( almonds or pistachios) and nutmeg, then chill for 3-4 hours before serving.
AMAAAAAZING recipe!!! my parents LOOOOOOOVED it!!!! they want me to make double triple the recipe. Thank u so much for this recipe!!! it was so creamy. i love arabic desserts!!! five stars plus!!!!! this recipes for keeps!!!
This is THE truly authentic recipe for Muhallabia. I have had this book for years and enjoy many of the recipes. I think that the ground almonds provide an interesting texture, the rosewater and nutmeg are essential for the middle-eastern touch, and they take a dessert that on first impressions resembles baby rice to something far more unusual. I am living in Egypt, and this dish always impresses our friends!! Thanks for reminding me about it Bluemoon... The book itself is at my family home in Scotland!