Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Delicious chicken dish. Nice served with sliced tomatoes on top and with basmati rice on the side. Preparation time does not include 30 min of marinating time.
- 1 3⁄4 lbs chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 3⁄4 cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 3 tablespoons ghee or 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 -6 large onions, cut in half and sliced
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 green cardamom pods
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup yogurt
- 1 cup water
- Mix yogurt, turmeric, salt, garlic & ginger well in large bowl. Add chicken and make sure chicken is well coated. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Heat ghee or butter in skillet. Take chicken out of bowl and discard marinade. Add chicken to skillet, cover and cook 20 minutes over med heat. Turn and cook until chicken in cooked through, about another 15 minutes. Remove chicken to plate.
- Add onions, chile powder, cinnamon, cardamom and black pepper to the skillet you cooked the chicken inches Saute on med high heat until onion is browned.
- Add chicken and any juices on plate to the skillet, along with the 1/4 Celsius yogurt and the water. Mix well and cover. Cook 7 minutes. Remove bay leaves and cardamom pods to serve.
Reviewed for ZWT8 visit to India. I used chicken breast fillets cut into smaller, thinner pieces in place of the thight, but otherwise stuck to the recipe as written. This was an easy and very tasty Indian chicken dish.Seemed like a long list of ingredients but came together very easily. I added the bay leaves with the cardamon pods (not stated in the instructions) Great recipe that I would happily make again. Photo also to be posted