1/2 Photos of Muffuletta Sandwich
4 hrs 45 mins
Tastings by CeCe's Note:
I culled this recipe from a Mardi Gras website. The olive salad gives this sandwich its authentic taste. I made this as part of a Mardi Gras lunch at work and even folks who do not like olives enjoyed it. The mixture of pickled cauliflower, carrots, celery, and pepperoncini is called gardeniera and can be found in the relish/pickle section of your grocery. Also, I omitted the salt. Cooking time for this one is really refrigeration time for the compiled sandwich. I let the olive salad flavors meld for 1 week. It was worth it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 loaf muffuletta bread (round 10 inch loaf) or 1 loaf sesame topped Italian bread (round 10 inch loaf)
- 1/4 lb mortadella, thin sliced
- 1/4 lb cappicola ham, thin sliced
- 1/4 lb hard genoa salami, thin sliced
- 1/4 lb provolone cheese, thin sliced
- 1/4 lb null or 1/4 lb emmenthaler cheese, thin sliced
olive salad (use 1 cup for sandwich)
- 1 1/2 cups green olives, Pitted
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives or 1/2 cup black olives, pitted
- 1 cup pickled vegetables
- 1 tablespoon capers
- fresh garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1/8 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper
- 1 tablespoon green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt, to taste, salt may not be necessary (optional)
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1To Make the SANDWICH.
- 2Split a muffoletta loaf or a round loaf of Italian bread horizontally. Remove some of the center soft bread.
- 3Spread each half with equal parts of olive salad/oil.
- 4Place meats and cheeses evenly on bottom half and cover with top half of bread.
- 5Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 4 hours. Cut in quarters for huge sandwiches, or eighths for more manageable sections.
- 6To Make the OLIVE SALAD.
- 7To pit the olives crush each olive on a cutting board with your hand or use the end of a funnel.
- 8Combine all ingredients except oil in processor. Pulse 4-5 times. You want this to be coarse chopped.
- 9Add olive oil. Put into a bowl or jar, cover and let the flavors marry for about one week.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Muffuletta Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1335.5
- Calories from Fat 1124
- Total Fat 124.9 g
- Saturated Fat 29.1 g
- Cholesterol 105.2 mg
- Sodium 3046.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 33.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: