Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 mins
Ham, cheese and more combine in a salad version of the classic New Orleans sandwich. Make ahead, because salad should be refrigerated 8 hours or overnight before serving.
- 226.79 g medium pasta shell
- 226.79 g provolone cheese, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 113.39 g salami, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 113.39 g mortadella, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 113.39 g boiled ham, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 10 large black olives, pitted and sliced (find the jumbo- sized, if you can)
- 10 large pimento-stuffed green olives, sliced (queen olives)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small celery rib, chopped
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 29.58 ml fresh thyme leaves
- 2 small garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 44.37 ml apple cider vinegar
- 2.46 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml ground black pepper
- 1.23 ml liquid hot pepper sauce (such as Frank's or Louisiana brands)
- Muffuletta Salad: Cook shell pasta in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water following package directions until al dente, firm but tender. Drain pasta well; rinse with cold water to stop cooking; drain well again.
- Place pasta in a large bowl. Add the diced provolone, salami, mortadella, ham, black and green olives, onion, celery, parsley, thyme and garlic; toss until all ingredients are well combined.
- Dressing: Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper and the hot-pepper sauce in a small bowl until well combined.
- Drizzle the dressing over the pasta mixture in the large bowl; toss until all the ingredients are well coated with the dressing. Cover the salad and refrigerate overnight. Serve at room temperature.