Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 mins
Ham, cheese and more combine in a salad version of the classic New Orleans sandwich. Make ahead, because salad should be refrigerated 8 hours or overnight before serving.
- 1⁄2 lb medium pasta shell
- 1⁄2 lb provolone cheese, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1⁄4 lb salami, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1⁄4 lb mortadella, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1⁄4 lb boiled ham, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 10 large black olives, pitted and sliced (find the jumbo- sized, if you can)
- 10 large pimento-stuffed green olives, sliced (queen olives)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small celery rib, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 small garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid hot pepper sauce (such as Frank's or Louisiana brands)
- Muffuletta Salad: Cook shell pasta in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water following package directions until al dente, firm but tender. Drain pasta well; rinse with cold water to stop cooking; drain well again.
- Place pasta in a large bowl. Add the diced provolone, salami, mortadella, ham, black and green olives, onion, celery, parsley, thyme and garlic; toss until all ingredients are well combined.
- Dressing: Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper and the hot-pepper sauce in a small bowl until well combined.
- Drizzle the dressing over the pasta mixture in the large bowl; toss until all the ingredients are well coated with the dressing. Cover the salad and refrigerate overnight. Serve at room temperature.