1/2 Photos of Muffuletta Bread
3 hrs 25 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a 2 cup glass measuring cup, combine water and sugar.
- 2Stir in yeast. Let stand until foamy, 5-10 minutes.
- 3In a food processor fitted with the steel blade, combine 3 cups flour, salt and shortening.
- 4Add yeast mixture.
- 5Process until dough forms a ball, about 5 seconds. Stop machine, and check consistency of dough. It should be smooth and satiny.
- 6If dough is too dry, add more warm water, 1 tablespoon at a time, processing just until blended.
- 7If dough is too sticky, add more flour, 1 or 2 tablespoons at a time, processing just until blended. Process 20 seconds to knead.
- 8Lightly oil a large bowl, swirling to coat bottom and sides.
- 9Place dough in the oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat all sides.
- 10Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in bulk,.
- 11about 1 1/2 hours.
- 12Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- 13When dough has doubled in bulk, punch down dough, and turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- 14Form dough into a round loaf about 10" in diameter, and place on a greased baking sheet.
- 15Sprinkle top of loaf with sesame seeds.
- 16Press seeds gently into surface of loaf.
- 17Cover very loosely with plastic wrap, and let rise until almost doubled in bulk, 1 hour.
- 18Place rack in center of oven.
- 19Preheat oven to 425.
- 20Remove plastic wrap.
- 21Bake loaf in center of preheated oven, for 10 minutes.
- 22Reduce heat to 375, and bake 25 minutes.
- 23The loaf is done when it sounds hollow when tapped on bottom.
- 24Cool completely on a rack before slicing.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Muffuletta Bread
Serving Size: 1 (676 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1663.1
- Calories from Fat 268
- Total Fat 29.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3506.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 301.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.0 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 41.6 g