Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A New Orleans sandwich made with Italian bread, cold cuts, cheese and olive salad. Serve at room temperature with a root beer. This is the All Star Sandwich Bar version, as seen in the Roadfood Sandwiches cookbook.
- 1 large round loaf Italian bread
- 5 -6 ounces thinly sliced genoa salami
- 5 -6 ounces thinly sliced ham
- 5 -6 ounces mortadella
- 5 -6 ounces thinly sliced provolone cheese
- 1 cup coarsely chopped green olives
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced celery
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced carrot
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Prepare olive salad 12 hours in advance: Mix olives, celery, carrot, garlic, oregano, pepper, olive oil, vinegar and lemon juice. Cover and let sit for 12 hours at room temperature.
- Horizontally slice the bread. Scoop out half of the insides (top and bottom).
- Place the provolone between layers of cold cuts on the bottom slice of bread.
- Scoop olive salad (amount to taste) into the top slice of bread.
- Place the slices of bread together.
- Cut sandwich in 4.