Recipe by KittyKitty
Muffulettas have bold flavors, and provide large portions. This recipe is particularly good.I had to list "Olive Spread" as one of the ingredients below, as the system would noa accept, olive salad, the olive salad recipe is below, do not use olive spread.
- 1 (10 inch) round Italian bread
- 1⁄2 lb sliced hard salami
- 1⁄2 lb sliced cooked ham
- 6 slices swiss cheese
- 6 slices thin provolone cheese
Olive Salad (use 2 cups)
- 1 (1 quart) jar pickled vegetables
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 1 (16 ounce) jarpitted green olives, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) canmedium pitted ripe olives, drained
- 1⁄4 cup sliced pepperoncini pepper
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (7 1/4 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut bread loaf in half, horizontally. Scoop out soft bread from both halves, leaving a 1 inch thick shell. Reserve soft bread centers for another use, if desired.
- Spoon 1 cup Olive Salad evenly into bottom bread shell, top with salami, ham, cheeses, and remaining 1 cup Olive Salad. Cover with bread top, and cut across into wedges or quarters.
- Drain pickled veggies; reserving 1/4 cup liquid.
- Pulse pickled veggies 4 times in a food processor or until coarsely chopped, pour into a large bowl. Pulse onion 4 times in food processor or until coarsely chopped, add to pickled veggies. Pulse olives and salad peppers in same manner as onion and pickled veggies; add to veggie mixture. Stir in capers, next 6 ingredients, reserved 1/4 cup pickled veggie juice, and chopped red pickled peppers. Cover and chill 8 hours. Can be chilled up to 2 weeks. 6 cups.