Recipe by amanda felt
light and springy
Top Review by Maureen in MA
These were yummy - moist & delicious, plus healthy! I substituted all purpose flour for the spelt, decreased water to 1/2 cup, increased applesauce to 1 cup, increased cinnamon to 1/2 tsp and added 1/4 tsp nutmeg, using chopped apple as the fruit. My only problem was removing from the paper muffin cup liners I used - they tend to stick. Next time I won't use the liners.
- 3 1⁄3 cups spelt flour
- 3⁄4 cup granular fructose
- 1⁄2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup light oil (canola)
- 1 cup of your favorite fruit, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- sift together the dry ingredients.
- in a large bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.
- add the dry ingredients to the wet mix all at once and mix together until just combined.
- fold in the optional fruit.
- scoop into a standard muffin cup 3/4 full.
- bake in a 350 degree oven for 32 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in center comes out clean.
- cool and eat.